Bizarreness at A2 Hosting - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Good, Thomas
Subject Bizarreness at A2 Hosting
Date
List pgsql-sql
I realize this is not the right list for this question but I am just flabbergasted, am only on one list, and, know Tom
Laneis here so, please excuse...

Here is the deal:

On a2 hosting I do the following:

1) create a new database in cpanel
2) login via psql
3) run \d

AND - there is ALREADY a table belonging to another user (not a privileged user, another account owner)
I can see this guy's schema but can't access the data. (I guess that's a positive)

I have repeated this three times so far...after I created a db, populated it and found a table that wasn't mine I
createda test db that should have been empty.

4) try to run pg_dump - it fails as it is unable to lock this other guy's table

tech suppt argues with me that their template is not hosed, "that is the nature of postgre," he said (not a typo, he
omittedthe trailing s)

These guys are recommended by postgresql.org so I figured I'd try em...
I have another account (for a client whom I support pro bono) and they do not have this problem. New databases are
emptyas one would expect.

Can someone tell me what exactly the problem is - I am waiting for a supervisor to call me back and I'd like to lead
himto the answer so he can fix the problem.

thanks much
--
Thomas A. Good, Senior Database Administrator
Saint Vincent's Hospital Westchester