Re: 7.3.1 takes long time to vacuum table? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mark Cave-Ayland
Subject Re: 7.3.1 takes long time to vacuum table?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Tom,

> I suspect that what we really want here is a completely different
> algorithm (viz copy into a new file, like CLUSTER) when the initial
scan
> reveals that there's more than X percent of free space in the file.

Yes! Sorry Tom, I missed the detail of this the first time around.
However from the figures here it would need to be a very small
percentage of free space, perhaps only upto 10-15% where the existing
vacuum would be a better method. Hope they were useful to you.

Cheers,

Mark.

---

Mark Cave-Ayland
Webbased Ltd.
Tamar Science Park
Derriford
Plymouth
PL6 8BX
England

Tel: +44 (0)1752 764445
Fax: +44 (0)1752 764446

recipient please delete it from your system and notify the sender. You
should not copy it or use it for any purpose nor disclose or distribute
its contents to any other person.