Re: Zero throughput on a query on a very large table. - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From ldh@laurent-hasson.com
Subject Re: Zero throughput on a query on a very large table.
Date
List pgsql-performance

Sorry, the web outlook client may be "prepending" this message instead of appending, as is the custom on this mailing list.

The indices are defined as:

CREATE INDEX i_outprev_ptclaim
    ON public.tmp_outpatient_rev USING btree
    (desy_sort_key COLLATE pg_catalog."default", claim_no COLLATE pg_catalog."default")
    TABLESPACE pg_default;

CREATE UNIQUE INDEX ui_outprev_ptclaimline
    ON public.tmp_outpatient_rev USING btree
    (desy_sort_key COLLATE pg_catalog."default", claim_no COLLATE pg_catalog."default", clm_line_num COLLATE pg_catalog."default")
    TABLESPACE pg_default;

I am using PGAdmin4 and the client times out, so i don't have the exact timing, but each one of those indices completed under 5h (started at lunch time and was done before the end of the afternoon). So when i ran the query and it didn't move for about 10h, i figured it might "never end" :).

I'll try changing the random page cost and see. The work_men param is set to 128MB... So maybe that's something too? I'll try.

Additionally, do note that we have a second table, similar in structure, with 180M rows, select pg_size_pretty(pg_relation_size('tmp_inpatient_rev')) --> 18GB (so it's 10x smaller) but we get 40K rows/s read throughput on that with a similar query and index and the plan does chose an index scan and returns the first thousands of row almost immediately (a few secs).