why use phpPgAdmin (was: RE: Importing tab delimited text file usingphpPgAdmin 5.1 GUI) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Kevin Brannen
Subject why use phpPgAdmin (was: RE: Importing tab delimited text file usingphpPgAdmin 5.1 GUI)
Date
List pgsql-general
> From: Tony Shelver <tshelver@gmail.com>
> Just a side comment: Why use phpPgAdmin when pgAdmin 4.6 is current, free and readily available?
> It also has a graphical table-from-file loader as well.

I can’t speak for the original poster, but there are multiple reasons that might be:
* You came from the mysql world and are used to phpMysqlAdmin.
* You tried it long ago and it worked great, so you stuck with it.
* You can get phpPgAdmin to work.
* You find it hard to make pgAdmin work for you.

There may be other reasons, but all of the above are true for me.

The most vexing for me is the last one because I'd like it to work well. I just downloaded the latest and am trying to
runon Win7. I can only guess why it made me reboot (some MS library), but I did. Then when starting it, it popped up a
tabin by browser and that looked promising … until I tried to tell it my server, but it won’t connect (while phpPgAdmin
isrunning just fine in another tab). After enough futzing around with it, I managed to make it connect.

After playing with pgAdmin for 5-10 minutes, I’ll say it’s OK but it’s not as easy to use as phpPgAdmin. In fact,
tellingit to look at new “objects” (tables/views/functions) seems to require multiple clicks and is hard to get what I
wanton the first try.

Then there's the issue that when I stop the server and restart, I can't use the bookmark I made to get to it because
it'sdecided to change ports. What the heck?

Anyway, I’m not trying to bash pgAdmin. I’m sure that if I read the docs and used it more, then I’d find it useful.
However,my first impression is that it’s harder to use and why switch when I have a perfectly working tool already
here.I didn’t have to read any docs to use phpPgAdmin ... a few experimental clicks to see what the controls did and I
wasable to use it, plus my bookmark for it always works.

Now if as someone said that phpPgAdmin won’t work with Pg v11, which I’ll find out in a few months, then I guess I’ll
haveto revisit this issue, but for the moment, I’m good with phpPgAdmin. Not that expect I it, but if someone from the
pgAdminteam wants to contact me for more details, I'll happily explain as maybe it'll help create a better tool.

One user’s perspective…
Kevin
This e-mail transmission, and any documents, files or previous e-mail messages attached to it, may contain confidential
information.If you are not the intended recipient, or a person responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient,
youare hereby notified that any disclosure, distribution, review, copy or use of any of the information contained in or
attachedto this message is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately
notifyus by reply e-mail, and destroy the original transmission and its attachments without reading them or saving them
todisk. Thank you.