Re: Migrated from 8.3 to 9.0 - need to update config (re-post) - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Carlo Stonebanks
Subject Re: Migrated from 8.3 to 9.0 - need to update config (re-post)
Date
List pgsql-performance
Hi Kevin,

(sorry for late reply, PG forums seem to have problems with my e-mail client, now trying web mail)

First, thanks for taking the time. I wish I could write back with quick, terse questions to your detailed reply - but I'm sorry, this is still going to be a wordy post.

>> max_connections = 300
>Too high. Both throughput and latency should improve with correct use
>of a connection pooler.

Even for 300 stateful applications that can remain connected for up to a week, continuously distilling data (imports)? The 300 is overkill, a sys admin raised it from 100 when multiple large projects were loaded and the server refused the additional connections. We can take large imports and break them into multiple smaller ones which the operators are doing to try and improve import performance. It does result in some improvement, but I think they have gone over the top and the answer is to improve DB and OS performance. Perhaps I don't understand how connection pooling will work with stateful apps that are continuously reading and writing (the apps are DB I/O bound).

> you want the controller configured for write-back (with automatic
> switch to write-through on low or failed battery, if possible).

For performance or safety reasons? Since the sys admin thinks there's no performance benefit from this, I would like to be clear on why we should do this.

>> Can our particular setup benefit from changing the bgwriter values?
> Probably not. If you find that your interactive users have periods
> where queries seem to "freeze" for a few minutes at a time and then
> return to normal levels of performance, you might need to make this
> more aggressive.

We actually experience this. Once again, remember the overwhelming use of the system is long-running import threads with continuous connections. Every now and then the imports behave as if they are suddenly taking a deep breath, slowing down. Sometimes, so much we cancel the import and restart (the imports pick up where they left off).

What would the bg_writer settings be in this case?

Thanks again for your time,

Carlo