Re: Vacuuming - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Frank Bax
Subject Re: Vacuuming
Date
List pgsql-novice
APseudoUtopia wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 7:32 PM,  <peter@vfemail.net> wrote:
>> There's a script running on my server hosting a PostgreSQL database that does some type of vacuuming routine every
Fridayat 5:00 p.m.  Specifically, the script executes this command:

>>     psql -d database_name -c "vacuum full verbose"
>>
>> and e-mails the verbose output to me.  Today's report today contains about 900,000 characters.
>>
>> I don't event know where to begin reading that report, interpreting what it's telling me, determining what's
important,or ascertaining what's routing and unimportant.

>> Can anybody give me any guidance or point me to a document that I should read to understand what the PostgreSQL
vacuumdoes and why this is an important function and how to decipher the verbose output?

> You should never run VACUUM FULL on a regular basis. In fact, it's
> recommended never to use FULL.
> See: http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/VACUUM_FULL

I can't seem to find how to start autovacuum daemon?
Once running how can I monitor its effect?