Re: Update performance degrades over time - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Subbiah Stalin-XCGF84
Subject Re: Update performance degrades over time
Date
List pgsql-performance
Any system catalog views I can check for wait events causing slower
response times.

Thanks in advance.

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-performance-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-performance-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Subbiah
Stalin
Sent: Thursday, May 15, 2008 9:28 AM
To: Jeffrey Baker; pgsql-performance@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] Update performance degrades over time

Yes we are updating one of indexed timestamp columns which gets unique
value on every update. We tried setting autovacuum_vacuum_scale_factor =
0.1 from default to make autovacuum bit aggressive, we see bloating on
both table and it's indexes but it's creeping up slowly though.

Anyways, even with slower bloating, I still see update performance to
degrade with 15 sec response time captured by setting
log_min_duration_stmt. Looks like bloating isn't causing slower updates.
Any help/ideas to tune this is appreciated.

Explain plan seems reasonable for the update statement.

update tablexy set col2=$1,col9=$2, col10=$3,col11=$4,col3=$5 WHERE
ID=$6;

                                                         QUERY PLAN

 Index Scan using ct_tablexy_id_u1 on tablexy  (cost=0.00..8.51 rows=1
   Index Cond: ((id)::text = '32xka8axki8'::text)

Thanks in advance.

Stalin