Strange UTF8 issue with pg_dump/pg_restore - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Benjamin Krajmalnik
Subject Strange UTF8 issue with pg_dump/pg_restore
Date
Re: Strange UTF8 issue with pg_dump/pg_restore  (Jim Nasby <jnasby@pervasive.com>)
List pgsql-admin
I have a database whose records are inserted via ODBC.
I turned on logging, and the client is explicitly setting the client encoding to UTF.

Rows are inserted into the tables.  When I do a pg_dump, I do not get any errors.  When I try tor restore, I am getting an error regarding an invalid UTF-8 character sequence.
Of course, this renders compressed backups useless, since I have no way of manually fixing the file.  The process of fixing the file is, of course, painful.

Is this a known issue?  I am running PG 8.1.4.  The problem happened on PG Windows.
Tomorrow I will try to see if the problem exists in the FreeBSD compile.  If I get it to reproduce, I will be able to send some data dumps, but will need to know who to send it to.

Regards,

Benjamin