Re: postgreSQL & amazon ec2 cloud - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Erik Jones
Subject Re: postgreSQL & amazon ec2 cloud
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mar 3, 2009, at 12:39 PM, Joshua Tolley wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 10:25:17AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Adrian Klaver <aklaver@comcast.net> writes:
>>> Nothing. I have created a Postgres instance on an EC2 virtual
>>> machine with
>>> attached EBS(Elastic Block Storage). I only got as far as creating
>>> in it and
>>> verifying it would run, no benchmarking. EC2 instances have
>>> storage as part of
>>> the instance but it is temporary and goes away when the instance
>>> is shut down.
>>> For a database you want EBS as it is a virtual harddrive that
>>> persists. Should
>>> an EC2 instance go down, you just reattach the EBS drive on reboot.
>>
>> ... I wonder whether you have any guarantees about database
>> consistency
>> in that situation?  PG has some pretty strong requirements about
>> fsync
>> behavior etc, and I'd not want to take it on faith that a cloud
>> environment will meet those requirements.
>>
>> Performance would be an interesting question too.
>>
>>             regards, tom lane
>
> There's a place called Engine Yard offering Ruby on Rails hosting with
> PostgreSQL on Amazon EC2.

Actually, we don't have any EC2 offerings for PostgreSQL yet.  Well,
technically it *is* installed, but it's not pre-configured and, thus,
not supported yet.

Erik Jones, Database Administrator
Engine Yard
Support, Scalability, Reliability