Re: Gsoc2012 Idea --- Social Network database schema - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Qi Huang
Subject Re: Gsoc2012 Idea --- Social Network database schema
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 6:17 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> > On 3/18/12 8:11 PM, HuangQi wrote:
> >> The implementation seems to be done quite fully. There is even a patch
> >> file. Why is the implementation not added into the release of Postgres? As
> >> so much has already being done, what could I do in this case for the Gsoc?
> >
> > That would be good for you to research.  archives.postgresql.org will
> > help you find the discussions around that.
>
> I actually tried to find out, personally...not sure if I was searching
> wrongly, but searching for TABLESAMPLE did not yield a cornucopia of
> useful conversations at the right time in history (~2007), even when
> the search is given a broad date-horizon (all), so I, too, an
> uninformed as to the specific objections.
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/search/?m=1&q=TABLESAMPLE&l=&d=-1&s=d

I sent a mail to Nail Conway asking him about this. Hope he could give a good answer.
While waiting for the response, how about the skip scan? Daniel mentioned there is still some unknown.
I searched this mail thread suggesting the skip scan to TODO list.
Also this thread talking about
Not sure whether this is feasible for Gsoc....

Best Regards
Huang Qi Victor