Simple function closes connection to server - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From T- Bone
Subject Simple function closes connection to server
Date
List pgsql-novice
Hello all,

PG 8.0.1
Mandrake 10.1
Uniqueidentifier 0.2 type and function instatlled (see
http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/uniqueidentifier/projdisplay.php)

I have a very simple funtion designed to perform a lookup on a 'zone name'
based on a uniqueidentifier:
-----------------------------------8<-------------------------------------------
CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION "getZoneName"(text)
  RETURNS text AS
$BODY$DECLARE
     zonename text;
BEGIN
    -- Perform a lookup on OrgID to determine Zone Name
    SELECT INTO zonename "Name" FROM "tblOrganisation" WHERE "OrgID"::text =
$1;
        RETURN zonename;
END;$BODY$
  LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE STRICT SECURITY DEFINER;
-----------------------------------8<-------------------------------------------

The "OrgID" is a uniqueidentifier type, so I explicitly cast it.  The
function works fine when I execute it as follows:
-----------------------------------8<-------------------------------------------
SELECT "getZoneName"('51f6c6a0-fee0-43c1-b50c-bd67191cb374')
-----------------------------------8<-------------------------------------------
The zone name is returned.

However, when I execute it as follows, my connection to the db gets closed
and, obviously, there is no result.  In fact, it appears that ALL
connections are closed (this is not good).
-----------------------------------8<-------------------------------------------
SELECT "ZoneID", "getZoneName"("ZoneID"::text) AS "ZoneName"
   FROM "tblOrganisation";
Essentially, I want to use the "ZoneID" (also a uniqueidentifier type) value
to plug into my function.  I thought my function gets processed on a
row-by-row basis (like a strpos function would).

I am hoping that I am missing something quite simple.  Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Jim

Take advantage of powerful junk e-mail filters built on patented Microsoft�
SmartScreen Technology.

first two months FREE*.