Re: [GENERAL] - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Adam O'Toole
Subject Re: [GENERAL]
Date
Re: [GENERAL]
List pgsql-novice
Thanks for the feedback Richard and Andreas...

Ok, I am missing one thing here� my new instance is on a Windows server. How
will I import the dump from my old 7.4.7 instance running on Linux, into my
new 8.0.1 instance running on Windows 2003? How would you go about feeding a
Dump file into a Windows install of postgreSQL 8.0.1? I have been
researching for a while here, and I just can�t seem to find any info on this
scenario.
Thanks in advanced !
Adam

Adam O'Toole wrote:
Hello. I have an instance of postgreSQL 7.4.7 with one database called
dbmedia. We are moving to postgreSQL 8.1 running on windows2003 server. Can
I just copy the entire $PGDATA directory to the new 8.1 instance of
postgreSQL?
I heard that I might run into problems because of the difference in PG
versions and server architectures. If this wont work, what would be the best
way to get my dbmedia database moved over to the 8.1 instance running on
windows?

Richard Huxton wrote:
Test it first - there might be something different between 7.4 and 8.0 that
you're relying on. Read the release notes in 8.0 to find out what might
affect you.
It's generally easier to dump/restore using a version 8 pg_dump - each
version is a bit smarter, and can talk to older servers.
Oh - and make sure you're familiar with the Unicode issues on Windows.
--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd