Re: Proposal to shutdown pgFoundry - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Proposal to shutdown pgFoundry
Date
List pgsql-www
On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 10:18, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Cédric Villemain <cedric.villemain.debian@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>> Actually generating a static copy may be a non-trivial amount of work
>>> though. It's easy enough to spider the site and store it as a static
>>> HTML, but we'd also need to ensure we remove any links or forms to
>>> non-static features of course.
>
>> I believe we don't care :)
>> We can just add a disclaimer at top of each page : "this site is only
>> for archive, do not expect each link to work. Thank you."
>
> Or, just replace the server with something that serves out the same
> static page for any pgfoundry URL: "pgfoundry has been retired.  Please
> see <list of useful resources> to search for the new location of the
> project you are looking for."
>
> The main point in my mind is that we'll never get rid of all the
> references to pgfoundry.  Having those URLs go 404 will not look good
> nor be helpful to visitors.

I think the reasonable thing is a combination.

For a number of the high-profile, high-traffic projects (like odbc for
example), we can specifically put in a forward. Or maybe a
project-specific page telling the visitor to update their bookmarks.

For the rest, a generic page along the line of what Tom suggests
should be enough.

Just 404'ing things is mean :-)

--
 Magnus Hagander