Re: Switching Database Engines - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Carlos Mennens
Subject Re: Switching Database Engines
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 3:06 PM, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg@turnstep.com> wrote:
> Correct. Keep in mind I don't think the XML route will convert the users
> table, just the wiki data itself. As someone else mentioned, the
> wiki itself will work fine, but support for any MediaWiki extensions
> is hit or miss because MediaWiki was a MySQL only shop for so long
> (and Wikimedia still uses it, and they influence a lot of the MW
> development).

So what is the ideal or best suggested approach on tackling this task?
I built the new Apache server and installed the new (latest) version
of MediaWiki on it. I then pointed the installation of the new server
to my existing PostgreSQL database server. I created a user and
database for MediaWiki to use but it self generated a new table schema
during the installation. Should I proceed or do I somehow need to
blast what the new installation did and migrate my old data in it's
place. I guess there just isn't a clean understanding on my part on
what I need to do in what particular order.

I tried running the tool as suggested before and unless I'm doing
something wrong, I have no idea why it didn't work:

[root@db_old postgres]# pwd
/var/www/html/int/main/wiki/maintenance/postgres

[root@db_old postgres]# ls -l
total 60
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  4096 Jul 13  2009 archives
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 13988 Mar 12  2009 compare_schemas.pl
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 14063 Nov 22  2008 mediawiki_mysql2postgres.pl
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 23596 Mar 19  2009 tables.sql

[root@db_old postgres]# sh mediawiki_mysql2postgres.pl
mediawiki_mysql2postgres.pl: line 12: use: command not found
mediawiki_mysql2postgres.pl: line 13: use: command not found
mediawiki_mysql2postgres.pl: line 14: use: command not found
mediawiki_mysql2postgres.pl: line 15: use: command not found
mediawiki_mysql2postgres.pl: line 17: syntax error near unexpected token `('
mediawiki_mysql2postgres.pl: line 17: `use vars qw(%table %tz %special
@torder $COM);'