Re: Performance degradation of inserts when database size grows - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Performance degradation of inserts when database size grows
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 8:45 AM, Andrey Vorobiev
<andrey.o.vorobiev@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1. How does database size affect insert performance?

Well, if your database gets bigger, then your indexes will become
deeper, requiring more time to update.  But I'm not sure that's your
problem here.

> 2. Why does number of written buffers increase when database size grows?

It normally doesn't.

> 3. How can I further analyze this problem?

Are you actually inserting more user data into these tables, so that
they have more and more rows as time goes by, or are the data files
getting larger out of proportion to the amount of useful data in them?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company