Re: PostgreSQL 9.0 or 9.1 ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 9.0 or 9.1 ?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 2:47 AM, Achilleas Mantzios
<mantzios.achill@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> we have been running our infrastructure on 8.3 for quite some years now,
> and i am thinking it is now time to upgrade all major parts of our system
> (java, jboss, postgresql).
> I would tend to be a little "radical" and go a little optimistic and greedy
> about it.
> I have been using 9.0 as a test system with no major flaws for quite some
> time as well.
> Till the end of July i must have finished all the migration to the new
> versions.
> The migration will involve testing of about 5,458 sql statements and the
> migration of some heavily customized in house functions, including
> a version of DBmirror (which is in use for a very specific set of problems)
> So i am asking what would be better by your perspective to do?
> Go for 9.1? or stick to 9.0?
> Where is a stable (release) version of 9.1 be available?
> Has any one faced any issues migrating from 9.0 to 9.1

Are you looking for any features that 9.1 has to offer?  If you
aren't, it may make your decision easier.  Unfortunately there are
several 9.1 features that are just awesome.  So, where you go from
here is going to depend on your risk tolerance and (more importantly)
your availability of testing resources.  Testing of production-ish
workloads during the beta period are very much appreciated by the
community, so feel free to give it a shot as long as you understand
the risk involved (which are substantial).

One big risk with 9.1 early adoption is that you run the risk of
having to dump/reload if you go production while in the before the
build hits release candidate status (and sometimes, even then).  So,
if you are running a 24x7 duty cycle that's something to think about.

merlin