Re: [PERFORM] [PERFORMANCE] expanding to SAN: which portion best to move - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Willy-Bas Loos
Subject Re: [PERFORM] [PERFORMANCE] expanding to SAN: which portion best to move
Date
List pgsql-general

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 10:19 AM, Robert Klemme <shortcutter@googlemail.com> wrote:
On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 9:04 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
Separating index and tables might not be a totally good idea
generally.  Richard Foote has an excellent article about Oracle but I
assume at least a few things do apply to PostgreSQL as well - it's at
least worth as something to check PostgreSQL's access patterns
against:

http://richardfoote.wordpress.com/2008/04/16/separate-indexes-from-tables-some-thoughts-part-i-everything-in-its-right-place/

I would probably rather try to separate data by the nature and
frequency of accesses.  One reasonable separation would be to leave
all frequently accessed tables *and* their indexes on local RAID and
moving less frequently accessed data to the SAN.  This separation
could be easily identified if you have separate tables for current and
historic data.

Well, after reading your article i have been reading some materail about it on the internet, stating that separating indexes from data for performance benefits is a myth.
I found your comment "So then a single query will only ever access one of both at a time." very smart (no sarcasm there).
I also found a thread on AskTom that said mainly "the goal is to achieve even io." (that makes absolute sense)

In my situation, where i need extra space on a SAN, it seems logical to separate the tables from the indexes, to achieve just that: roughly even IO.. (put tables on san, leave indexes on raid10 cluster)
Or am i being silly?

Cheers,

WBL
--
"Patriotism is the conviction that your country is superior to all others because you were born in it." -- George Bernard Shaw