Re: The shared buffers challenge - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: The shared buffers challenge
Date
Re: The shared buffers challenge
List pgsql-performance
On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 10:10 AM, Kevin Grittner
<Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov> wrote:
> Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> So, the challenge is this: I'd like to see repeatable test cases
>> that demonstrate regular performance gains > 20%.  Double bonus
>> points for cases that show gains > 50%.
>
> Are you talking throughput, maximum latency, or some other metric?

I am talking about *any* metric..you've got something, let's see it.
But it's got to be verifiable, so no points scored.

See my note above about symptoms -- if your symptom of note happens to
be unpredictable spikes in fast query times under load, then I'd like
to scribble that advice directly into the docs along with (hopefully)
some reasoning of exactly why more database managed buffers are
helping.   As noted, I'm particularly interested in things we can test
outside of production environments, since I'm pretty skeptical the
Wisconsin Court System is going to allow the internet to log in and
repeat and verify test methodologies.  Point being: cranking buffers
may have been the bee's knees with, say, the 8.2 buffer manager, but
present and future improvements may have render that change moot or
even counter productive.  I doubt it's really changed much, but we
really need to do better on this -- all else being equal, the lowest
shared_buffers setting possible without sacrificing performance is
best because it releases more memory to the o/s to be used for other
things -- so "everthing's bigger in Texas" type approaches to
postgresql.conf manipulation (not that I see that here of course) are
not necessarily better :-).

merlin