Re: Set of related slow queries - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From John Williams
Subject Re: Set of related slow queries
Date
List pgsql-performance
Hi All,

Let me clarify this a bit.

The memory values are ridiculous you're completely correct.  I've
since fixed that (it had no effect sadly).

I've adjust the shared buffers to about 400MB.  As per the tuning
guide to set that to around 1/4 of your system memory (the AWS in
question has 1.7GB).  I didn't have the shared buffers set correctly
to start because truthfully I had no idea how to incurease shmmax and
I had to look that up.

The work_mem is very very high for the system It's running on
admittedly.  I'm ok with leaving that though because currently I'm the
only one on the machine at all (this isn't a production set up it's a
testing setup).  Realistically it's only that high because someone
suggusted trying a much higher value (I had already personally set it
to 50MB as that was about 30% larger than the largest sort I found)
and see if that improved the situation (it didn't).

Several of the implications of my current set of data make things look
a little wrong so let me clarify the issue a bit.  The table is
composed of data coming from a games combat log.  Each log represents
about 400k entries.  Since I only really care to look at data from the
perspective of each log, the log_id is infact going to be more most
selective portion of the query.  Right now the table only has two logs
in it making this hard to see.  But it should reflect that the
situation shouldn't get worse over time.  I will basically never be
looking at more than a 400-500k record portion of my entries table at
a time.

This stuff gets really painful because I can't very well predict the
queries so I can't pre calculate and the data isn't like a system log,
I could be accepting uploads of 100's of such logs per day.  The
actual queries that are run are a function of what the user wants to
see.  Their are roughly 5 or so different data views, each of which
takes 15-25 separate queries to calculate all the various graphs and
aggregates.  Frequently I won't be looking at the "overall" entire log
(composed of 400k entries), instead I'll be looking at smaller slices
of the data adding: WHERE seconds_since_start <= 1500 AND seconds
since start <= 4000 or some such with very arbitrary min and max.

Now I should say I've seen almost this exact same work done before for
a different game.  So I can't help but feel I must be missing
something really important either in how I'm setting up my data or how
I'm processing.

Thanks,
John

---