Re: Why not install pgstattuple by default? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Why not install pgstattuple by default?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 18:22, Euler Taveira de Oliveira
<euler@timbira.com> wrote:
> Em 06-05-2011 05:06, Magnus Hagander escreveu:
>>
>> On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 00:34, Josh Berkus<josh.berkus@pgexperts.com>
>>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Hackers,
>>>
>>> I've run into a couple of occasions lately where I really wanted
>>> pgstattuple on a production server in order to check table/index bloat.
>>>  However, in the production environment at a large site installing a
>>> contrib module can involve a process which takes days or weeks.
>>
> I already faced that problem too.
>
>>  From 9.1, it'll be a simple CREATE EXTENSION command - so much of the
>> problem goes away. Well. It doesn't go away, but it gets a lot more
>> neatly swept under the rug.
>>
> That's half of the history. Admin needs to install postgresql-contrib
> package. Sometimes it takes too much time to convince clients that some
> additional supplied modules are useful for them.
>
> Now that we have extensions, why not build and package the contrib modules
> by default? 'make world' is not the answer. There is not an option for
> "install all pieces of software". Let's install pg+contrib and leave only
> 'CREATE EXTENSION foo' for the admins.

That's mostly an issue to be solved by the packagers. Some contrib
modules add dependencies, but those that don't could easily be
packaged in the main server package.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/