Re: VARIANT / ANYTYPE datatype - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: VARIANT / ANYTYPE datatype
Date
Re: VARIANT / ANYTYPE datatype  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 5:58 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:

> A customer came to us with this request: a way to store "any" data in a
> column.  We've gone back and forth trying to determine reasonable
> implementation restrictions, safety and useful semantics for them.
> I note that this has been requested in the past:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2004-02/msg01266.php

I think its a reasonably common use case.

Would it be possible to do this with a "typed" hstore? Seems easier to
add something there than it would be to add the VARIANT type as
discussed here.

> both Oracle and MS-SQL have it

Do they? What types are they called?