Re: EOL for 8.2 (was Re: Formatting Curmudgeons WAS: MMAP Buffers) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: EOL for 8.2 (was Re: Formatting Curmudgeons WAS: MMAP Buffers)
Date
Re: EOL for 8.2 (was Re: Formatting Curmudgeons WAS: MMAP Buffers)  (Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net>)
Re: EOL for 8.2 (was Re: Formatting Curmudgeons WAS: MMAP Buffers)  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 6:18 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> However, I can see that I'm way, way in the minority on this one, so
> never mind!  It was just a thought...

Fwiw I would have agreed with you on the basic question. Just because
we've said that users can count on N years of support doesn't mean
there's anything binding us to *not* support things for N+x years. The
argument that we should cut refuse to back-patch security fixes and
bug fixes that we could handle without much effort to versions that
users are using just because we think we know better than them and
know they should upgrade is a bad path imho.

However your theory was all predicated on the idea that supporting 8.2
was not much incremental effort and Dave said that's not true so this
is all moot. Doing it Windows-excluded seems not worth the effort ---
unless... what version of Postgres was shipped in the last supported
releases of major distributions? I think it was 8.1 in Ubuntu Hardy
and 8.4 in Ubuntu Lucid so that's irrelevant. What about Redhat and
Debian?

--
greg