Re: FUSION-IO io cards - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Justin Pitts
Subject Re: FUSION-IO io cards
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 10:24 AM, Mark Steben
<mark.steben@autorevenue.com> wrote:
> Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this company and these
> cards.  We're currently at postgres 8.3.11.

td;dr Ask for a sample and test it out for yourself.

I asked for, and received, a sample 80GB unit from Fusion to test out.
Due to my own time constraints, I did not get to do nearly the testing I wanted
to perform.

Anecdotally, they are bloody fast. I ran an intense OLTP workload for 8.4 on it,
and the card far exceeded anything I've seen elsewhere.

I did see the CPU utilization that is mentioned elsewhere in this
thread, and the
drivers are exotic enough ( again repeating things mentioned elsewhere ) that
I couldn't just load them up on any old linux distro I wanted to.

The pre-sales engineer assigned to me - Sarit Birzon - was very
helpful and nice.