Re: PostgreSQL + FreeBSD memory configuration, and an issue - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gipsz Jakab
Subject Re: PostgreSQL + FreeBSD memory configuration, and an issue
Date
List pgsql-general
I think, the main problem is the following: all of the user are autheticated in the psql with the same username, and the thing, that you've mentioned, the locks (I will talk with the programmer, or create new users in the psql, and modify the ODBC settings at the client side). How can I setup a shorter time period for the idle time or less lock time?

regards,
Carl

2011/4/8 Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com>
On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 3:00 AM, Gipsz Jakab <clausewitz45@gmail.com> wrote:
> After the settings in the postgresql.conf our system is much faster, and no
> more error messages in the postgres.log, but If I try to drop a table, or
> add a new one, our system is stopping, until I kill the process, which is
> dropping or adding a table.

you are almost certainly waiting on a lock.  check pg_locks for
ungranted locks and pg_stat_activity for idle/long running
transactions.  If you ever find yourself having to bump
max_connections again, it is almost certainly a good idea to
investigate a connection pooler like pgbouncer.

merlin