Query Performance with Indexes on Integer type vs. Date type. - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Dhimant Patel
Subject Query Performance with Indexes on Integer type vs. Date type.
Date
Re: Query Performance with Indexes on Integer type vs. Date type.
Re: Query Performance with Indexes on Integer type vs. Date type.
List pgsql-performance
Hi All,

I am a new comer on postgres world and now using it for some serious (at least for me)  projects. I have a need where I am running some analytical + aggregate functions on data where ordering is done on Date type column.

From my initial read on documentation I believe internally a date type is represented by integer type of data. This makes me wonder would it make any good to create additional  column of Integer type and update it as data gets added and use this integer column for all ordering purposes for my sqls - or should I not hasitate using Date type straight into my sql for ordering?

Better yet, is there anyway I can verify impact of ordering on Date type vs. Integer type, apart from using \timing and explain plan?

Thanks for sharing your insights.
-DP.