Re: Newbie basic and silly question - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Michael Glaesemann
Subject Re: Newbie basic and silly question
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Feb 22, 2006, at 14:04 , sconeek@gmail.com wrote:

> now my understanding is that sql is a db language which is used by
> both
> mysql and postgres.

I think this wikipedia entry will clear up a lot of your questions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SQL

> also mysql is a subset of postgres. a lot of
> features in postgres come from mysql.

No. PostgreSQL and MySQL are different database management servers
(DBMS) (with completely different origins) that both support the SQL
language. Other DBMSs include Firebird, MSSQL Server, DB2, and Oracle.

I'm sure there are other Wikipedia entries that may help you as well.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com