Re: Survey: renaming/removing script binaries (createdb, createuser...) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steve Atkins
Subject Re: Survey: renaming/removing script binaries (createdb, createuser...)
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mar 26, 2008, at 11:44 AM, Leif B. Kristensen wrote:
> On Wednesday 26. March 2008, Ron Mayer wrote:
>
>> I'd prefer a "pg" program that took as arguments
>> the command.  So you'd have "pg createdb" instead
>> of "pg_createdb".
>>
>> There are many precedents. "cvs update", "git pull"
>> "apt-get install".
>>
>> Anyone else like this approach?
>
> I'll second that. It would be much easier on the brain, as you might
> issue a "pg --help" if you don't remember the exact syntax or even the
> name of each command.

Seems like it'd be a fair bit more work to do than a simple
rename, but the end result seems a nice clean solution.

Would it make it more difficult to do a client-only
installation if "pg" replaced both things like pg_ctl and
initdb as well as createdb and createuser, though?

Cheers,
   Steve