Re: Microsoft buys GitHub, is this a threat to open-source - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Justin Clift
Subject Re: Microsoft buys GitHub, is this a threat to open-source
Date
List pgsql-general
On 4 Jun 2018, at 18:31, Rich Shepard <rshepard@appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Jun 2018, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
>> No but it does show why using non open source platforms for open source
>> projects is an inherently bad idea.
>
> Joshua,
>
>  Sourceforge seems to be out of favor, too,  so are there any open source
> platforms that provide services that sourceforge and github do?

Both GitLab and BitBucket are commonly suggested.

Neither seems great, but when push comes to shove "they'll do". :)

For people that are ok with standing up their own servers, there are more
options.  Gitea (Open Source GitHub clone) is pretty good:

  https://gitea.io

It's also very efficient resource wise (unlike GitLab), so can run effectively
on tiny hardware.  Even Raspberry Pi level can do a decent job for small scale
stuff.

Naturally, anyone with team-sized needs would run it on appropriate hardware. ;)

+ Justin

- Indira Gandhi