Re: Code of Conduct plan - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Damir Colak
Subject Re: Code of Conduct plan
Date
List pgsql-general
Please take me off this list.

On Sep 14, 2018, at 05:31, Chris Travers <chris.travers@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 10:53 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
I wrote:
>> We seem to be a bit past that timeline...  Do we have any update on when
>> this will be moving forward?
>> Or did I miss something?

> Nope, you didn't.  Folks have been on holiday which made it hard to keep
> forward progress going, particularly with respect to selecting the initial
> committee members.  Now that Magnus is back on shore, I hope we can
> wrap it up quickly --- say by the end of August.

I apologize for the glacial slowness with which this has all been moving.
The core team has now agreed to some revisions to the draft CoC based on
the comments in this thread; see

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Code_of_Conduct

(That's the updated text, but you can use the diff tool on the page
history tab to see the changes from the previous draft.)

I really have to object to this addition:
"This Code is meant to cover all interaction between community members, whether or not it takes place within postgresql.org infrastructure, so long as there is not another Code of Conduct that takes precedence (such as a conference's Code of Conduct)."

That covers things like public twitter messages over live political controversies which might not be personally directed.   At least if one is going to go that route, one ought to *also* include a safe harbor for non-personally-directed discussions of philosophy, social issues, and politics.  Otherwise, I think this is asking for trouble.  See, for example, what happened with Opalgate and how this could be seen to encourage use of this to silence political controversies unrelated to PostgreSQL.

I think we are about ready to announce the initial membership of the
CoC committee, as well, but that should be a separate post.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

Efficito:  Hosted Accounting and ERP.  Robust and Flexible.  No vendor lock-in.