Re: Simple join optimized badly? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: Simple join optimized badly?
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Oct 7, 2006, at 8:50 PM, Denis Lussier wrote:
> Wouldn't PG supporting simple optmizer hints get around this kinda
> problem?   Seems to me that at least one customer posting per week
> would be solved via the use of simple hints.
>
> If the community is interested...  EnterpriseDB has added support for
> a few different simple types of hints (optimize for speed, optimize
> for first rows, use particular indexes) for our upcoming 8.2 version.
> We are glad to submit them into the community process if there is any
> chance they will eventually be accepted for 8.3.

+1 (and I'd be voting that way regardless of where my paycheck comes
from) While it's important that we continue to improve the planner,
it's simply not possible to build one that's smart enough to handle
every single situation.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect                   jim@nasby.net