Re: career in SQL/Database administration - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Williams, Travis L, NEO
Subject Re: career in SQL/Database administration
Date
List pgsql-general
Most of our DBA's (true DBA's) also need to know Unix\Linux\Windows &
perl\PHP\ASP to be able to interact the different needs of different
apps with the DB.  Stick with Postgresql or Oracle (if you can afford
it).

Travis

-----Original Message-----
From: Bryant M [mailto:bry1255wm@netscape.net]
Sent: Monday, September 22, 2003 4:03 PM
To: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: [GENERAL] career in SQL/Database administration

Can anyone reccomend a career path or maybe past experience on a good
career path to becoming a DBA?  I recently took a class on Intro to SQL
at the local college and enjoyed it very much.  I dont want to become a
full-time PHP, SQL, ASP, Java,etc. programmer, though.  My background is

in Windows Networking and administration (AD and Exchange) and hardware
troubleshooting.  I assume as a DBA I would still be able to maintain
the server hardware, systems, design, and networking layout, but still
be able to create tables, modify data, and perform SQL maintainence all
at the same time.  I was told by my instructor many DBAs are past (or
still current) UNIX System Administrators.  I would not rule out
switching to Unix/Linux as my platform of choice either, I've been an
avid Linux hobbyist for over 5 years now.  Sybase, Oracle, MySQL, MS-SQL

preferred?  Any further thoughts?

Thanks!

               http://archives.postgresql.org