Re: Postgres insert performance and storage requirement compared to Oracle - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Postgres insert performance and storage requirement compared to Oracle
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 12:36 PM, Divakar Singh <dpsmails@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Storage test was simple, but the data (seconds taken) for INSERT test for PG vs Oracle for 1, 2, 3,4 and 5 indexes
was:
> PG:
> 25
> 30
> 37
> 42
> 45
>
> Oracle:
>
> 33
> 43
> 50
> 65
> 68
> Rows inserted: 100,000
> Above results show good INSERT performance of PG when using SQL procedures. But performance when I use C++ lib is
verybad. I did that test some time back so I do not have data for that right now.

So, assuming I wanted to reproduce your results, can you provide a
self contained test case that shows these differences?  I have always
gotten really good performance using libpq myself, so I'm looking for
what it is you might be doing differently from me that would make it
so slow.