Re: Running PostgreSQL as fast as possible no matter the consequences - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Running PostgreSQL as fast as possible no matter the consequences
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 2:27 PM, Andy Colson <andy@squeakycode.net> wrote:
> On 11/15/2010 9:06 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
>>
>> In 9.1, I'm hopeful that we'll have unlogged tables, which will even
>> better than turning these parameters off, and for which I just posted
>> a patch to -hackers.  Instead of generating WAL and writing WAL to the
>> OS and then NOT trying to make sure it hits the disk, we just won't
>> generate it in the first place.  But if PostgreSQL or the machine it's
>> running on crashes, you won't need to completely blow away the cluster
>> and start over; instead, the particular tables that you chose to
>> create as unlogged will be truncated, and the rest of your data,
>> including the system catalogs, will still be intact.
>>

> if I am reading this right means: we can run our db safely (with fsync and
> full_page_writes enabled) except for tables of our choosing?
>
> If so, I am very +1 for this!

Yep.  But we need some vic^H^Holunteers to reviews and test the patches.

Code review, benchmarking, or just general tinkering and reporting
what you find out on the -hackers thread would be appreciated.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company