Re: executor stats / page reclaims - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: executor stats / page reclaims
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 5:10 AM, Uwe Bartels <uwe.bartels@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm experiencing extremely different response times for some complex pgsql
> functions. extremly different means from 20ms - 500ms and up to 20s.
> I have to say that the complete database fits in memory (64GB).
> shared_buffers is set to 16GB. the rest ist used by thefs cache and
> conections/work_mem.
> the server is running under linux rhel5 and is 8.4.5.
> the filesystem is ext3 due to the lack of xfs support by redhat.
>
> - I have for the one function response time of 20 ms with no shared blocks
> read.
> - If there are shared blocks to be read I get immediatly response time of at
> least 80ms and up to 200ms.
> - If i see page reclaims I always get response times above 400ms
> - I'm guessing that 20s response time come together with i/o.
>
> As far as I read page reclaims occur probably here, because fs cache has to
> free memory for allocations for the client. Am I right?
> So how can i prevent page reclaims?
>
> What do the number is within the brackets mean e.g. 0/3330 [0/4269] page
> faults/reclaims?
> Or is this output somewhere explained? I didn't find anything.

I think you're probably going about this the wrong way.  Rather than
mess around with those executor stats, which I think are telling you
almost nothing, I'd enable log_min_duration_statement or load up
auto_explain and try to find out the specific queries that are
performing badly, and the plans for those queries.  Post the queries
that are performing badly and the EXPLAIN ANALYZE output for those
queries, and you'll get a lot more help.

As for the numbers in brackets, a quick glance at the source code
suggests that the bracketed numbers are cumulative since program start
and the unbracketed numbers are deltas.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company