Re: Libpq is very slow on windows but fast on linux. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rob Brown-Bayliss
Subject Re: Libpq is very slow on windows but fast on linux.
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi

No Joy.  The tcp window stuff didn't make any difference.   I tried
the unscientific speedtest.net to a server in Canada and all 3
machines (several times  each)(.  Linux, XP and Vista. The results are
all too close to call.

Yet psql or pgadmin are 4 or 5 times slower on the windows machines.
Dropping back to 8.3 made no difference.  The XP machine is a fresh
install, it only has MS office and postgresql 8.3 installed, just to
test this.

I have come across many similar posts on the net, but there were
several years ago.  Is any one else seeing similar results?

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 3:19 PM, Craig Ringer
<craig@postnewspapers.com.au> wrote:
> On 07/11/10 09:13, Rob Brown-Bayliss wrote:
>> Ok, So I did that, in the windows capture file are many many lines of
>> Red text on a black background, I assume thats a bad thing.
>
> If you examine the packet it'll say "invalid checksum". This will be
> because your network card is doing TCP checksum offloading, and you can
> almost certainly ignore the warning or turn it off. See:
>
> http://wiki.wireshark.org/TCP_Checksum_Verification
> http://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsug_html_chunked/ChAdvChecksums.html
>
>> As I said before I really don't know what I am looking at.
>
> Use the wireshark throughput graph for a starter. If you don't
> understand TCP/IP, wireshark probably won't help you much - but then, I
> learned about TCP/IP with wireshark. Consider doing the same - dive in,
> read about it, and have a play.
>
> I won't be too surprised if the issue turns out to be related to TCP
> window sizes and window scaling differences between the two machines.
>
> --
> Craig Ringer
>
> Tech-related writing: http://soapyfrogs.blogspot.com/

Rob