Re: Documentation and explanatory diagrams - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Thom Brown
Subject Re: Documentation and explanatory diagrams
Date
List pgsql-docs
On 18 July 2010 09:36, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> On sön, 2010-07-18 at 00:46 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> Well, if we want _any_ images for the 9.0 docs, we had better decide
>> soon.
>
> I'd be very much against putting any images into 9.0 at this time.  I
> was working under the assumption that this discussion would be targeting
> 9.1.

+1

Considering that these will have to become a permanent fixture, I
don't expect this to be decided and working in time for 9.0.  I
assumed this was for 9.1 too.

There are too many unresolved concerns, and one I think is important
is whichever format is selected, can small changes be made to a
diagram using an editor without massive changes to the file.  Like Tom
said, we might have some editors which will behave and just alter a
piece of text we asked to be changed, and others decide it needs extra
markup and rearrange the order in which things are drawn etc.  And
should there be a whitelist of editors known to behave which people
are to use?

Thom