Re: warning message in standby - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: warning message in standby
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 10:38 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> I'm willing to buy the above, but nobody has explained to my
>> satisfaction why it's remotely sane to go into an infinite retry loop
>> on an unrecoverable error.
>
> That's a different question altogether ;-).  I assume you're not
> satisfied by the change Heikki committed a couple hours ago?
> It will at least try to do something to recover.

Yeah, I'm not satisfied by that.  It's an improvement in the technical
sense - it replaces an infinite retry that spins at top speed with a
slower retry that won't flog your CPU quite so badly, but the chances
that it will actually succeed in correcting the underlying problem
seem infinitesimal.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company