Re: Merged Model for libpq - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: Merged Model for libpq
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 4:47 PM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
> On 03/31/11 9:34 AM, Annamalai Gurusami wrote:
>>
>> Would it be possible to implement the client server protocol into an API
>> interface, without involving the TCP/IP network?
>
> sure, done already.  'domain sockets', the default for local connections
> that don't expressly call for localhost

er, yes, but that's not the whole story -- everything still has to go
through the protocol, parsing, marshaling, etc.

it's of course fairly trivial problem to wrap spi into libpq-ish
interface but it's pointless until we have explicit transactions
imnsho.

merlin