Re: proposal - custom format for date, timestamp - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: proposal - custom format for date, timestamp
Date
List pgsql-hackers
2010/6/2 Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>:
> Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> writes:
>> I thinking about request on custom datetime format. My first idea is:
>
>> a) add new datestyle format "custom"
>> b) add new GUC variables - custom_date_format, custom_time_format,
>> custom_timestamp_format
>
> Ick.  Why not just put them in one variable.
>        datestyle = 'custom yyyy mm dd'
> Interrelated GUCs are really painful.

I understand, but personally I dislike mix two different values - name
and format together. And what more - we need separate formats for
date, time and timestamp. It is differnet than Oracle because Oracle
uses only one datatype for all.

Regards
Pavel