Re: Which RAID Controllers to pick/avoid? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Which RAID Controllers to pick/avoid?
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 10:46 PM, Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> example.  Scott Marlowe was griping recently about a similar issue in some
> of the LSI models, too.  I suspect it's a problem impacting several of the
> larger RAID cards that use the big Intel IOP processors for their RAID
> computations, given that's the part with the heatsink on it.

Specifically the LSI 8888 in a case that gave very low amounts of air
flow over the RAID card.  The case right above the card was quite hot,
and the multilane cable was warm enough to almost burn my fingers when
I pulled it out the back.  I'm not sure any RAID card would have
survived there, but the LSI 8888 LP definitely did not.