Re: Completely un-tuned Postgresql benchmark results: SSD vs desktop HDD - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Completely un-tuned Postgresql benchmark results: SSD vs desktop HDD
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 5:47 PM, Michael March <mmarch@gmail.com> wrote:
> If anyone is interested I just completed a series of benchmarks of stock
> Postgresql running on a normal HDD vs a SSD.
> If you don't want to read the post, the summary is that SSDs are 5 to 7
> times faster than a 7200RPM HDD drive under a pgbench load.
> http://it-blog.5amsolutions.com/2010/08/performance-of-postgresql-ssd-vs.html
>
> Is this what everyone else is seeing?
> Thanks!

It's a good first swing, but I'd be interested in seeing how it runs
with various numbers of clients, and how it runs as the number of
clients goes past optimal.  I.e. a nice smooth downward trend or a
horrible drop-off for whichever drives.