Re: Linux - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dave Page
Subject Re: Linux
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 8:00 AM, Michael Gould
<mgould@intermodalsoftwaresolutions.net> wrote:
> I know that this is probably a "religion" issue but we are looking to move
> Postgres to a Linux server.  We currently have a Windows 2008 R2 active
> directory and all of the other servers are virtualized via VMWare ESXi.  One
> of the reasons is that we want to use a 64 bit Postgres server and the UUID
> processing contrib module does not provide a 64 bit version for Windows.  I
> would also assume that the database when properly tuned will probably run
> faster in a *inx environment.
>
> What and why should I look at certain distributions?  It appears from what I
> read, Ubanta is a good desktop but not a server.

Whilst I won't discourage you from a move to Linux, which I think is a
good idea in general (and personally, my choice is RHEL - or CentOS if
you want free - for a production server), I will note that Hiroshi
Saito has ported ossp-uuid to Win64 now, and we're working on getting
it included in the next update of PG 9.0.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company