Re: upgrade - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: upgrade
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 12:08 PM, William Bruton <drc@spidr.com> wrote:
> How do I know which version to upgrade to from 8.1.4?

you should first update to 8.1.latest so you've got all the bug fixes
available.  It's pretty close to painless, and unless the release
notes between 8.1.5 and 8.1.latest say you need to do anything out of
the ordinary, it's just a software update, no admin work to do.

Upgrading to a later version I'd go for 8.2 or 9.0.  8.3 removed a lot
of explicit casts that some (broken really) programs need to work
right.  So going to 8.3 or beyond you're making a commitment to
hunting down such code and fixing it.

9.0 is WORLDS ahead of 8.2 though, and well worth the effort, if
needed, to move to.