Re: Linux - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Vick Khera
Subject Re: Linux
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 11:23 AM, Steve Clark <sclark@netwolves.com> wrote:
> We have used FreeBSD but are moving to CentOS. Main reason is longer support
> window.
> FreeBSD usually goes EOL in a year or two. CentOS 5.x is supported thru at
> least 2014.

FreeBSD 6.x was released in 2005 and was EOL'd finally last month.
FreeBSD 7.x was released in Feb 2008 and has no EOL yet.  It will be
at minimum 2013 since the 7.4 release will be out next year.

I guess if you need more than a 5 year support window it may make
sense, but otherwise that doesn't seem like a reasonable argument to
switch the whole OS.

The only legitimate reason to switch the OS, IMHO, is operational
experience of the people running it.