Re: Sync Rep v19 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jaime Casanova
Subject Re: Sync Rep v19
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 3:11 PM, Yeb Havinga <yebhavinga@gmail.com> wrote:

> Summary of preliminary testing:
> 1) it is confusing to show messages/ contents of stat_replication that hints
> at syncrep, when synchronous_replication is on.

[for the record, Yeb explain he means OFF not on...]

the thing is that once you put a server name in
synchronous_standby_names that standby is declared to be synchronous
and because synchronous_replication can change at any time for any
given backend we need to know priority of any declared sync standby.
if you want pure async standbys remove their names from
synchronous_standby_names

> 2) should guc settings for synchronous_replication be changed so it can only
> be set in the config file, and hence only change with reload_conf()?

no. the thing is that we can determine for which data we want to pay
the price of synchrony and for which data don't

> 3) speed is comparable to v17 :-)

yeah... it's a lot better than before, good work Simon :)

--
Jaime Casanova         www.2ndQuadrant.com
Professional PostgreSQL: Soporte y capacitación de PostgreSQL