Re: high user cpu, massive SELECTs, no io waiting problem - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Cédric Villemain
Subject Re: high user cpu, massive SELECTs, no io waiting problem
Date
List pgsql-performance
2011/2/16 Thomas Pöhler <tp@turtle-entertainment.de>:
> Hi,
>
> we are using two instances of pgbouncer v1.4 for connection pooling.
> One for prepared statements (pool_mode session) and one without (pool_mode transaction).
>
> Pgbouncer.ini:
> [pgbouncer]
> pool_mode = transaction/session
> server_reset_query = DISCARD ALL;
> server_check_query = select 1
> server_check_delay = 10
> max_client_conn = 10000
> default_pool_size = 450
> log_connections = 0
> log_disconnections = 0
> log_pooler_errors = 1
> client_login_timeout = 0
>

> I will examine htop next time during a peak.
>
> If I remember correctly vmstat showed lots of context switches during a peak above 50k.
>
> We are running a biweekly downtime where we do a complete reindex and vaccum full. We cannot identify certain queries
causingthis.

> The last graph in ganglia (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/183323/CPUloadprobsdb1.jpg) shows the avg_queries from pgbouncers
stats.I think this is a symptom of many waiting queries which accumulate.

> Our iscsi is connected with 3Gibt/s. But that's more than enough. We don't have high traffic throughput.
>
> This is the result of the query you gave me:
>
> version PostgreSQL 8.4.4 on x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (Debian 4.3.2-1.1) 4.3.2, 64-bit
> checkpoint_segments     40
> custom_variable_classes pg_stat_statements
> effective_cache_size    48335MB
> escape_string_warning   off
> fsync   on
> lc_collate      C
> lc_ctype        C
> listen_addresses        *
> log_destination stderr
> log_line_prefix %t %p %d %u %r
> log_lock_waits  on
> log_min_duration_statement      1s
> log_min_messages        notice
> log_rotation_size       10MB
> log_temp_files  50MB
> logging_collector       on
> maintenance_work_mem    1GB
> max_connections 1000
> max_prepared_transactions       5
> max_stack_depth 2MB
> pg_stat_statements.max  10000
> pg_stat_statements.track        all
> port    5433
> server_encoding UTF8
> shared_buffers  16GB
> TimeZone        Europe/Berlin
> update_process_title    on
> wal_buffers     1MB
> work_mem        32MB
>

> Seems like connection limit 10000 is way too much on pgbouncer? Our queries overall are not that CPU intensive. If
theyare slow, they are mostly waiting for disk io. When having a look at the traffic of this database server we see 2/3
ofthe traffic is going to san/disk and only 1/3 going to the server. In other words from the traffic view, 2/3 of our
operationsare writes and 1/3 are reads. The database is fitting completely into ram, so reads should not be a problem.

I used pgbouncer with way more than that, not an issue on its own
*but* can you export the pgbouncers in another box ?
I get issues in very high-mem usage (more than IO) and ton's of
connection via pgbouncer, then moving the bouncer in a 3rd box salve
the situation.