Re: Propose Beta3 for July - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Propose Beta3 for July
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 3:44 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 3:23 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>>> Well, do you consider 7/8 to be mid-July or "close to the beginning"?
>
>> 7/8 would be about the last date I'd consider reasonable, given a CF
>> starting 7/15.  I would prefer a few days earlier, but I'm not sure
>> how much of a vote I get considering that I'm not actively involved in
>> the release process or the packaging of installers.
>
> It would be better not to branch until we're certain we won't need to
> re-wrap the beta.  I'm wondering why you see a need for any daylight at
> all between the branch date and the start of the CF.

Well, I guess it isn't technically necessary, but I think it might
make things less hectic.  Last year we had two weeks, which was more
than we needed, but I think a little slack time will make things go
more smoothly.

BTW, if we're going to do a second pgindent run for this release, we
probably want to do that before the branch point.  Not sure if it
should be done before or after beta3.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company