Re: PANIC killing vacuum process - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: PANIC killing vacuum process
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 10:06 AM, Silvio Brandani
<silvio.brandani@tech.sdb.it> wrote:

> Alls,
>
> we have develop a script to execute the vacuum full on all tables of our

Vacuum full is more of a recovery / offline command and is to be used
sparingly, especially before 9.0.

> very big database , since it is a 24 x 7 available system we have not a
> timeframe to exec the vacuum full.

Is there a reason you're avoiding autovacuum and tuning it to keep up?
 It's usually the better option.

> PostgreSQL 8.3.1 on x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu

Is there a good reason for avoiding about two years of updates
(8.3.latest has a lot of bug fixes.)