Re: First stab at 9.0 release announcement - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Thom Brown
Subject Re: First stab at 9.0 release announcement
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 18 June 2010 20:20, Chris Browne <cbbrowne@acm.org> wrote:
josh@agliodbs.com (Josh Berkus) writes:
> Here's the beginning of drafting the release announcement.  Note that
> the lists of features will change after I get the results of the
> survey, but I didn't have in mind to change the basic format.
>
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/90ReleaseDraft
>
> In general, I don't feel a need for a lot of hyperbole.  I think the
> huge number of major features speak for themselves.   So I'd rather
> focus on features and quotes.
>
> Feedback by the marketing geeks (Rob, Sean?) especially wanted.

I did a little bit of rewording, and added in (for convenience),
linkage to the release notes.  (It's handy for anyone reading the
announcement!)

I don't see any features that are in the release notes that seem like
they strongly need to be added.  The ones that seem plausible, but
just a bit too marginal for the announcement, to me:

 - deferrable unique constraints
 - VACUUM FULL improvements
 - binary upgrade
--

A few proposals

"The PostgreSQL Global Development Team is proud to announce the release of version 9.0. "

Maybe "PostgreSQL 9.0" instead of "version 9.0"?

Anonymous functions instead of anonymous blocks?  Else put the word "code" before blocks.

Instead of "driving PostgreSQL's competition" use a synonym for "driving" as it sounds weird after just mentioning "drive" in the previous sentence.... or change the one in the previous sentence... I dunno.

As for the "blah blah blah" bits... look good to me ;)

Thom