Re: Incrementally Updated Backups - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Incrementally Updated Backups
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 1:29 AM, Mikko Partio <mpartio@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I'm interested in the "incrementally updated backups" scenario
>> > described in section 25.6 of the Postgres 9 documentation. I've
>> > configured streaming replication for my warm standby server.
>> >
>> > Step 2 in this procedure is to note?pg_last_xlog_replay_location at
>> > the end of the backup. However it seems like this requires hot standby
>> > to be configured; otherwise there is no way of connecting to the
>> > standby machine to make the required query. That does not seem clear
>> > from the documentation. Is there a way to get this without using hot
>> > standby?
>>
>> That section has been removed from the current 9.0 docs because we are
>> unsure it works.
>
> Is the feature (or the documentation) still being worked on, or is pg_dump
> the only way to take a backup of a warm standby while the database is
> running?

I don't think you can take a pg_dump of a warm standby without making
recover.  But I can't see why you can't use a snapshot to recover a
warm standby, since the file system will be just a base snapshot and a
bunch of wal files.

Docs on continuous archiving are here:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/continuous-archiving.html